Sunday, April 28, 2019

Spiritual Space

Even though there were no deserts in Ireland, the Celtic monks were likely influenced by the tradition of the desert fathers.  The sacred places that became substitutes were the wild places of the lush wilderness which surrounded them.  The retreat spaces of the Celtic monks were caves, or crudely constructed habitations, but the space with which they and the desert fathers were concerned was the inner space of the heart.  As most of us know, the real spiritual battles and struggles are not peculiar to some geographic spot, but inside the inner spaces where battles of the will and faithfulness to God are waged. 

The Apostle Paul spoke of this spiritual struggle in his letter to the Roman Christians, "I do not understand my own actions. For I do not do what I want, but I do the very thing I hate....I can will what is right, but I cannot do it.  For I do not do the good I want, but the evil I do not want is what I do."  (Romans 7:15, 19)  Most of us do not require a Biblical commentary, or some wise other person in our life, to understand what the Word of God is saying to us.  It is speaking of a spiritual condition common to each one of us. 

We likely do not have a retreat space set apart somewhere so that we can separate ourselves from distractions, internal and external, but there is still a need for us to create space in our lives to pursue what it means for us to live according to the way God is calling us to live.  It is hard work.  It is going to take more than a few minutes in the midst of daily devotional routine.  While there may be some help if we are able to have a spiritual mentor, most of the heart probing simply requires a sure dose of honesty, a willingness to confess instead of blame, and an openness to whatever the Holy Spirit wants to do in our life. 

No comments: