Tuesday, February 5, 2019

A Little Place

As I think back over the years of preaching, I remember a lot of different churches of different sizes in so many different locations.  While I did not always perceive it as clearly as I do now, each one had a unique place in shaping my spiritual journey.  Today as I saw the obituary notice of one who sat in the pews at my first preaching place and was a long time Sunday School leader, I found myself thinking about that small country church so far back in the woods you had to know where it was to find it.  It was called Zoar which literally means "a little place" and it was.
 
It was a little place compared to some of the other churches I have served, but none blessed me as this one did.  I went to it while still in seminary. I thought I knew more than I did know.  I was the spiritual novice in that place for it was filled with many a soul far more under the influence of the Holy Spirit than their preacher.  They were a patient and encouraging bunch when it came to my preaching.  But, the thing I remember most is their praying.  I have never been anywhere as a preacher where so many prayed for me.  I have often thought over the years that it would be a good thing for every young preacher to go to a "Zoar" and know what it is to be a part of a church that really takes praying for the preacher seriously. 
 
Today I gave thanks for this man who spend time praying for me.  He is now truly a part of that great cloud of heavenly witnesses.  He will be missed and always loved.  The effects of his praying will go on and on.  No doubt he prayed for those he loved with more fervency than he prayed for his preacher.  Those who pray for us leave with us a legacy that is eternal. 

No comments: