Friday, August 17, 2018

Promises

After our afternoon dousing, I took a walk out to the garden and saw a band of colors spreading up from the southern horizon.  It is always good to see a rainbow.  They have always been things of wonder and today's color show in the sky was no exception.   The first word which always comes to mind when I see the arching rainbow is the word promise.   The first rainbow was accompanied by a promise of God to Noah and his descendants.  Of course, the original promise had to do with an assurance that there would be no more floods such as the one described in the Old Testament story, but whenever I see one I just remember that God has made promises.
 
His promises are keepers.  God is utterly trustworthy.  He is more dependable than the sunrise.  He is more constant than the movement of the universe.  He is more steady than a brain surgeon's hand.  He is not just a promise maker, but a promise keeper.  This utterly dependable and absolutely trustworthy God always and forever keeps His Word.  Every time I see a rainbow, I remember the Promise Maker is also the Promise Keeper and I am filled with gratitude.

Of all the promises made and kept, the one I thought about most as I stood before today's rainbow was the promise of Jesus to be with us.  Always.  Not some of the time.  Always.  He promised to be with me and with you.  The fact that I sometimes think He is gone does not mean He is not keeping His promise.  He means there is something wrong on my end.  He has promised to be with me always.  You, too.  As I stood there marveling at the color in the sky, I was most grateful for this single promise. 

No comments: