Saturday, June 16, 2018

Inheritance

Somewhere along the way, I came upon a way to extend my morning devotional throughout the day.  Actually, it is no big thing I learned from reading some great book.  Matter of fact, it is such an ordinary thing, I imagine it is something done by the millions and I am just now getting around to discovering it.  I have been called a slow learner from time to time.  So, what I have finally gotten around to doing is carrying some word, or verse, or idea into the day so that it becomes a daily mantra I go back to again and again.  Maybe another way of looking at it is to say that I take something with me from my devotional time to chew on as I go about my day.
 
Today I have been chewing on the word "inheritance."  The Word tells us we are joint heirs with Christ.  It tells us there is an inheritance into which we are born.  It is a word that has meaning for all of us as we have all inherited things from those who have gone before us.  But, my thoughts have not really gone to the physical things inherited, but to the way we inherit a genetic make-up which makes us like our fathers and mothers.  To some degree or another, we bear their image.  In different ways we often manifest some of their characteristics or traits.
 
So, here we are as children of God, heirs with Christ to the things of the Kingdom.  Today I have found myself wondering how it is that I bear markings that cause people to see Jesus.  I wonder if the traits and characteristics that define Him define me.  Does my spiritual DNA bear any resemblance to the One whom I seek to follow?  I wonder, too, if I have inherited more at my spiritual birth than I allow to be seen.  Am I making a secret out of the fact that I belong to Jesus?  I keep wondering if those who see me see the One who dwells within me and if they know I am His.

No comments: