Wednesday, June 27, 2018

70 Years and Counting

Today I am marking my 70th year.  There will not likely be a big party with pointed hats and horns.  Instead, it will surely be a day of some reflection.  70 years is an auspicious mark.  A lot of people whom I have known along the way were not blessed with so many years.  A long time ago I was made aware of how life is full of moments of letting go of good friends too soon.  One of the amazing things in my life about which I often wonder is why I have been blessed with so many years when so many good folks were given a much fewer number.
 
When I was younger and moving through the decade markers, it never really occurred to me that a particular ten year marker might be my last one.  As I contemplate life on a 70th birthday, I know 80 is not a given.  The truth is 40 or 50 was not a given.  I just lived as if it was.  Not so with this birthday.  Without being pessimistic, I know now more than ever that my days are numbered.  While I have no idea of how many sunrises are ahead, I do know that God knows.  I have lived a life of working at trusting in God and I simply pray for the wisdom to continue living in such a way as the days come and go.
 
For me trusting in God is the only things which makes sense.  There are too many things which I cannot figure, or understand.  The longer I live the more I know I do not have to know and understand things which are confounding and confusing, I only have to trust in God.  If I live to be 80 or 70 plus one day, I pray it will be as one who is looking toward the God who loves me even though I am unworthy of that love.  Ah, but He loves me still and He will love me till the day I die and then through eternity.  What a wonderful gift to realize is being given on my 70th birthday! 

No comments: