Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Dry Fountains

Someone once told me to be careful about a doctor who has dying plants in his waiting room.  I guess they were saying something to me about the value of first impressions.  It took.  I never go into a doctor's office without checking out the health of the plants!  But, my problem goes beyond house plants.  There is a newly built church near our house which has a three tier outdoor fountain as the primary focal point of the entrance.  However, it never has any water spurting up and flowing over and down.  It is empty.  There is the promise of flowing water in a fountain, but a closer look reveals it is dry.

While I am not suggesting that the nearby church is dry spiritually, or that it is promising one thing and not delivering, it makes me think about the kind of messages churches send and the expectations of the people who show up to share in its life.  Just like it is in human communication, not every message is intentionally sent.  Unattended grounds and a shabby looking building may speak to the value the people inside place on their church.  A church sign or worship bulletin that never changes may seem like a small thing, but it is also a message saying, "Do not pay this any attention."  And a preacher who is obviously unprepared and wandering all over the Bible apparently does not have a high regard for preaching, nor is there much regard for the time of all those who have come.

And, then there is the dry fountain.  I would much rather see water going in the air and spilling out over the sides.  I would much rather be reminded that there is an abundant flow of that living water about which Jesus spoke.  I would much rather be reminded that there is so much spiritual life in that place that it spills over.  I would rather be reminded that there is enough grace that even the foulest sinner can be washed clean and then, even cleaned again. 

No comments: