Friday, February 23, 2018

Ask and Listen

I remember the first time it happened.  A young woman came into the office overwhelmed by a broken marriage and the divorce that loomed in her near future.  She was distraught, down, and not sure where life was taking her.  After a time of listening to her, I ask if we could pray.  And, then, remembering a book I had recently read on prayer, I paused for a long few minutes of silence and asked God to tell me how to pray for her.  My mind was going in several directions, but in that moment of asking and listening, I heard one word surfacing in my spirit,  "Peace.  Pray that she will have peace."
 
I wish I was further along in this journey of praying.  I do not always pause and ask God how I should pray when someone asks for my prayers.  Too often I just jump in with the words which seem appropriate in such a moment.  They are often words that sound trite and expected.  Sometimes they leave me with an empty feeling which makes me wonder how they affected the one for whom I was praying and who was listening to my praying. 
 
The better course when praying for others is to go slow instead of praying in a rush.  The better course is to ask God, "How should I pray for this person?' and then sit in the silence until some sense of direction is heard.  It may be something that is misunderstood by the one waiting for the praying to begin.  Maybe this is what keeps us from asking and listening.  The disciples saw Jesus praying and ask to be taught how to pray.  It is a good discipline for us as well.

No comments: