Sunday, January 21, 2018

A Snow Day Prayer

Last week during the snow and ice event, it was necessary for us to drive up to Fayetteville, Georgia.  The first three hours of the trip were absolutely no problem, but when we left the expressway for the last 18 miles, it was another story.  A thirty minute drive took almost two hours.  As I was crawling along over snow and ice patches, I came to a sign saying a bridge over a railroad was closed.  Not knowing which way to go, I got out and asked the woman in the car behind me for help.  She said, "Follow me," and she led me in a round about way to the other side of the bridge.  Then she turned around and went back on her own journey.  A few miles further I met a truck coming down a hill with a guy hanging out the window telling me the hill ahead was impassable.  He stopped and told me how to go back a different way so that I would eventually end up on the other side of the hill and from there, I made it slowly but safely to my destination.
 
Before we travel my wife and I have prayer in the car for a safe journey.  The prayer usually goes something like, "Lord, we ask You to keep us safe today as we travel.  Please keep us in a safe place. Keep us away from danger and harm.  Keep us alert, aware of things around us, and aware of each other.  Go before us and with us and make the way safe for us to come.  Slow us down or speed us up, but keep us where it is safe.  Give us patience as You do.  Thank You for Your care in the past and Your care today.  Amen"  This prayer has been prayed so often, it almost seems like a ritual that must surely be written in some book of prayer, but, of course, it is simply a part of our traveling ritual.

When the snow and ice driving event was behind us, I remember the morning prayer and prayed another one.  The evening prayer was one of thanksgiving.  And as I prayed, I thought about those two strangers along the way.  Helpers.  Messengers.  Some might even say angels.  Whatever their name, it seems clear to me they were a part of God's response to the morning prayer for safe passage through a storm. 

No comments: