Tuesday, September 15, 2026

Working up a Sweat

This Sunday I am going to be preaching just up the road at a small church I served as pastor immediately after retiring.  I could say that I got an invitation which sounds better than the truth which is I volunteered.  When they get the word that I am coming, there may be a lot of weekend trips planned!  Regardless, I will show up to preach.  When I started preaching back in 1971, I had three small churches on a Charge.  It was in the day of Sunday evening worship.  The congregations were all small and sometimes evening worship crowds really did not measure up to the definition of a crowd.   

I can remember times of preaching to a single digit congregation.  Most of the time the standard length of my sermons was a little less than ten minutes; however, there was one night I got to going and could not find the conclusion so I just kept on preaching till I could think of nothing else to say.  When I finished a laymen told me that I did not need to shoot the whole load on so few people.  It could be a problem this week as well since I only preach now and again.  I will have to be careful not to unload four months of not preaching into one sermon!   What I have learned is that regardless of the frequency of preaching, or the size of the congregation, it is still serious business to stand in the pulpit to speak a word which meets the criteria of being "the word of God for the people of God." 

I find myself pondering the Scripture more intensely this week.  As I pray I am mindful of my need for the guidance of the Holy Spirit.  It is only Tuesday, but Sunday is beginning to loom large on the horizon.  The other day I came in from tractor work soaked with sweat, but I was not complaining.  After months of battling the residual weakness of chemo, it felt really good to be able to work up a sweat.  When Sunday comes, it will feel good to be able to sweat a bit while I am gifted to once again preach the Word of the Lord. 

No comments: