I ran up on an essay today about John Bunyan's "The Pilgrim's Progress." As many know it was written while Bunyan was enduring a twelve year imprisonment. This allegory of the Christian life is a religious classic. When I finished the essay I thought about the man who gave me my first copy of the book. His name was the Rev. William Raymond Wilder, Sr. When his son married my widowed mother, he took on a grandfather role in my life.
Actually, my copy of Bunyan's book came to me when he died in 1970 and I was given a number of the books from his personal library. The books I received from him were the first ones which went on the shelves of this young about to be a preacher. His books introduced me to G. Campbell Morgan, E. Stanley Jones, Charles Spurgeon, G. Ray Jordan, and someone as unusual as Billy Sunday. "The Pilgrim's Progress" was then and continues to be regarded as a treasure. It was an old worn volume when I got it and so it has remained. It's pages had been turned many times and I continued turning them over the years.
Anyone who has yet to read Bunyan's allegory would do well to pick up a copy and begin to read. It describes a character known as Christian as he leaves the City of Destruction and journeys toward the Celestial City. The trials and temptations he encountered will resonate with each one of us as we continue our own personal journey with Jesus. When I gave my five minute retirement speech at Annual Conference back in 2010, I was proud to identify myself as a third generation Methodist preacher.
No comments:
Post a Comment