I recently read a report that the mega church had grown and the small church had declined in these post pandemic years. I was surprised. I remember a quiet personal prediction that that the small church would begin to grow again. It appears that I was wrong which is not the first time. My experience with the mega church is slim. I have been the pastor of some small congregations, have watched them suffer through decades of decline, and was hopeful that the post pandemic years would bring about a re-emergence.
The small church has suffered as rural communities have watched its young rush toward higher paying jobs in urban areas. This has resulted in the disappearance of the family farm, the loss of inter-generational communities, and small churches counting funerals instead of new members. Though I never served a large mega church, I did pastor a few larger congregations before retirement came. The larger church can offer whatever money can buy, but the small church provides things money could never buy.
Community is the most obvious. The small church is filled with people who have lived with one another through thick and thin, from birth to death, and whose definition of family is not just biological. It is the village which rears all the children. Most of all it is a community grounded in a faith in God which will not quit. It is a breeding ground for sinners who are beginning to look like the saints we are all called to be. Anyone who wonders if there is more to church than being just a spectator on Sunday morning should visit a nearby small church. It is a place where people know your name and will share your joys and woes. It is also a place where the pastor is more knowable than the face seen from a distance on the big screen.
No comments:
Post a Comment