Friday, March 15, 2024

Never Too Inconvenient

An evening chore around here on the farm, or maybe it is a part of the ritual of the day, is shutting up the chickens.  There are three laying hens sharing life on the farm that put eggs on the breakfast table when they have a mind to do so.  They roam the place during the day and around sunset they get shut up in a pen and house that is somewhat, though not completely secure from predators.  It was something I forgot to do earlier in the evening and it was a tad after ten tonight when I remembered so I went out and completed the day's stuff even though I was actually on the way to bed when memory carried me elsewhere.  

Taking care of animals and livestock on the farm is not something done when it is convenient.  Earlier in the day the cows needed some hay at the same time I wanted a nap.  I went to to the tractor, got the hay on the spear to take to the pasture, and it started to rain.  It was not just a sprinkling rain that felt refreshing, but one steady enough to be a soaker.  By the time I got three bales out there for them to eat, I was wet enough not to need a shower.  Well, almost.  The lesson learned here again and again is that if you have animals, they depend on you and the care you provide for them.  

I am not sure if the God who takes care of us ever feels like it is an inconvenient task, but my understanding of Who He is tells me that He is always present, working to bring good things into our lives. I have experienced that unending care and constant love so many times across the span of years given to me.  He really is the One who in every circumstance of need in my life has been working for good.  It is as Paul wrote to the Roman Christians, "We know that all things work together for good for those who love God, who are called according to His purposes."  (Romans 8:28)   

No comments: