Sunday, April 21, 2024

Being Connected

During my forty three years of preaching, I did very little visiting other churches on Sunday morning.  The reason is obvious enough.  I had a pulpit from which to preach and it was where I wanted to be when the sun rose of Sunday.  This last year has taken me to a different place.  Instead of being a one church guy, I have been to twelve different churches in the last year.  I have worshiped in eight Methodist churches, two Baptist churches,  one Presbyterian church, and one Episcopal church.  I am not planning to write a book about my experiences in different churches, but is has been an interesting journey.   

One of the things this game of ecclesiastical hop-skip-and-jump has caused me to remember is something I have known for a long time.  Everyone needs a church which can be called home.  I heard a woman this morning offering a personal testimony of her spiritual journey and she spoke of my Sunday choice for the day as her spiritual home.  When this old worn out Methodist preacher heard her word, it resonated in my spirit as something once again needed in my life.  This is not to say that visiting around is no longer an option, but it is to say that a connection is needed somewhere that speaks of more than just a casual see-you-when-I-can relationship.  

I think the thing missed most is something called community.  When we are a part of a church community, we covenant with others to share in serving Christ.  We commit to working through the messy stuff of being in relationship with people who do not always have to agree with us.  Being a part of a spiritual community is declaring myself accountable to others who are called to life in the community.   It means being connected.  I have been coming to terms recently with my own personal need for that kind of connection.  Maybe I am not the only one.

No comments: