Sunday, April 7, 2024

At the Table

When I was growing up in South Georgia, it was common in most Methodist Churches to offer Holy Communion once a quarter.  Of course, some churches did not offer it at all because it was "too Catholic."  In those days the Methodist Church was not a Table oriented Church, but one oriented toward preaching.  The architecture of many sanctuaries placed the pulpit in the center of the altar area with the Communion Table mostly serving as a place to put flowers.    

Things have changed some.  Newer churches were built with a divided chancel which provided more opportunities for the Table to have a more prominent role in worship.  This shift did not delegate preaching to a place of lesser importance so much as it encouraged more gatherings around the Table.  Nowadays the quarterly observance has been replaced by an offering of Communion each first Sunday of the month which is a far cry from a weekly Table gathering, but it is a step in the right direction.    

I remember a time early in my ministry when I thought that observing Communion too often would take away from its meaning.  I was wrong.  What I have discovered is that the moment around the Table has an intrinsic spiritual value which feeds the soul and creates a greater awareness of the presence of Christ.  As I knelt at the altar this morning with hands open to receive the Holy Sacrament, it was a moment of anticipation, and joy, and holy presence.  As I rose from the altar it was with gratitude and love for the Christ who sacrificed Himself for me on the cross. 

No comments: