Sunday, March 10, 2024

Morning Worship

I do not know that I had ever seen what I saw this morning in worship.  Was it six, or eight, or more?  It was more, more like ten or twelve, or more who came forward one at a time for the water.  Some came  to sit in a big tub and then laid back in the water until they disappeared underneath its shimmering suface.  Others came and stood before the preacher and were sprinkled lightly from the baptismal font.  As each one moved from this moment which belonged to each one of them in such a unique way, the whole congregation applauded  It was not light, polite, socially appropriate hand clapping, but boistrous and enthusiastic, the kind which belonged to a celebration.   

After all the baptisms came moments for large groups of people, some very old and some very young, some alone and some as whole familes, and as each group came they confessed their faith in Christ, their desire to be a  part of this newly formed Methodist Church, and then more clapping.  The worship service started at 9:30 and ended around 11:30 and no one stirred to move out of that place before the benediciton.  It was a couple of hours which stirred this old worn out Methodist preacher with a hope not felt in a long time. When I finally left the fellowship table, I wished that I could go back and do the whole thing again.  

I had no idea such was going to happen when I made the decision to say "yes' to an invitation of a cousin to attend worship at his church.  I am grateful for his invitation.  I am grateful for an opportunity to stand in the midst of so many people so excited about professing their faith in Christ.  I am grateful for the memory those folks will have of this day.  I am grateful, too, for my own memory of the baptismal waters touching me, for my memories of being blessed to baptize so many through the years of my ministry, and most of all, grateful for the Christ who is still calling folks like you and me to step forward in faith into the stream of His grace for a life changing moment.                                                        

No comments: