Wednesday, September 15, 2021

Let It Soar

Recent readings from the letter Paul wrote to the Roman Christians has had me thinking about going out on the front porch to sing.  I hold back simply because it would be a solo act and what I really would choose to hear would be the congregation singing.  One of the things which spoils preachers is the special privilege and blessing of standing between the trained voice of the choir and the not so trained voices of the pew sitters while the great hymns of the faith are raising the rafters.    

As I read words such as "Therefore just as one man's trespass led to condemnation for all, so one man's act of righteousness leads to justification and life for all."  (Romans 5:18), I started thinking about singing.  It also sent me on over a few pages further to read those powerful words of summation which said,  "There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus."  (Romans 8:1)  If those words and the spiritual blessing inherent within them do not stir the soul of this old preacher to sing, it may be that worn out is truly the appropriate word.    

In 1738 after his conversion, Charles Wesley wrote the hymn we know as "And Can it Be."  Two of the six verses have always stood out.  The first verse which says, "And can it be that I should gain an interest in the Savior's blood!  Died He for me who caused His pain!  For me who Him to death pursued?  Amazing love! How can it be that Thou, my God, shouldst die for me?"   And then there is number six which is the favorite of so many of us who love to sing this hymn, "No condemnation now I dread, Jesus, and all in Him is mine; alive in Him, my living Head, and clothed in righteousness divine, bold I approach th'e eternal throne, and claim the crown through Christ my own."   Let the music begin.  Let it soar!

No comments: