Saturday, September 25, 2021

In Tune

It would not be true to say that I found Celtic spirituality, but the truth is more aptly written if I say that it found me.  I was not looking for this stream of spirituality.   It was not really something which was included in my world view of things existing.  But, all of a sudden it became as clear and as new as the sunrise in the morning.  Why it did not come to me earlier likely has to do with my own receptivity to something which asks not for a lot of doing, but more being.     

So many of us have been coached since the beginning days that real Christianity is about being busy.  There are things which must be done.  There are disciplines which must be kept.  There are churches which must be enshrined as the spiritual center of our life.  There are theological tenets which are unquestionable.  While we speak of resisting every effort to tell us how to think and what to believe, the truth is it starts so early we soon are unable to recognize the influence and power external voices hold over us.  The early Celtic Christians were much more in touch with the earth and the creation than we are in our day and they seem to have  had an ear for hearing the holy speaking in and through everything.  

At times the way of this faith is dismissed as pantheistic and pagan, but a deeper and closer look reveals it to be a way that seeks to be in tune with the heart of God.  When the doors of Celtic spirituality opened before me I realized I had been walking toward that way for a long time without being aware of where it was that I was going.  It was good to be able to give a name to what was growing inside of me and to know that it was from its very beginnings inside the stream of Christian spirituality.   

No comments: