Monday, June 7, 2021

The Journey Home

When I started writing JourneyNotes back in 2008, I was led to a verse from Hebrews which seemed appropriate then, and far more appropriate now.  "The professed they were strangers and foreigners on the earth...seeking a homeland...they desire a better country, that is, a heavenly place."  (Hebrews 13:13-16)  It is set inside that great chapter which is like a roll call of the saints.  Abraham and Sarah are the two examples mentioned just ahead of this powerful and descriptive word about those who walk in faith with God.    

Back then the image of the life of faith as a journey was starting to unfold before me.  It was not something seen as clearly as it is in these days.  Instead, it was almost like a prophetic word given to me which I could not yet see, but which was just beyond the edge of my spiritual horizon.  It is not age or being closer to the day of my death which has shaped this awareness of the life of faith being a journey.  Instead, it speaks more of the place where the Spirit has been pulling me, leading me, and opening up in the deep places within my own spirit,    

The Words of the writer are so very true for all of us.  As those who believe in Christ and seek to follow in the direction He wants to take us, we know that so much of our life is lived out step with the values of the culture surrounding us.  We live in the world, to some measure we are shaped by it, but we are not of the world.  We do not belong to it even though we live in it.  To say "Yes" to the call of Christ on our life is to begin a journey in and through this world which takes us finally to the better country, to our home.     

No comments: