Friday, April 10, 2020

The Final Walk

One of the first passages of Scripture I learned as a boy was the 23rd Psalm.   Many of us had our parents as our teachers.  My mother was the one who first put these verses before me.  I cannot even begin to know how many times I have turned to this chapter for reading, or how many times I have quietly spoken its words in troubled times.  Over the years of ministry it was a chapter I would read as I stood with the sick in their homes, or the dying ones in the hospital. 
 
It is one of those sections of Scripture which is imbedded deep in our memory.  Perhaps, we could even say it is a passage that takes root in our soul and nourishes it for a lifetime.  One part of the passage which is becoming very personal and even more powerful in its meaning in this time of great trouble is the 4th verse, "Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for Thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff they comfort me."  I have always believed when I repeated these holy words over those who could not respond that the Words would resonate with their soul and bring comfort. 

It is indeed a Word which assures us that we are never alone.  We are never caught up in any moment of living or dying when we are not within the care and protection of God.  When we go beyond the place where human comfort is possible, the comfort of the One who created us remains with us.  His promise is that we will not be forsaken.  He will never leave us.  Instead, He will go with.  Even as He has walked with us throughout all the days of our journey on this earth, He will finally walk with us all the way home.  Thanks be to God.

No comments: