Friday, August 25, 2017

The Rearview Mirror

I ran a red light a few days ago.  It was not here in our town since we do not have one.  Just a blinking caution light.  But, in the town down the road, it is different.  It has all the stuff that goes with modern life in an urban area including a red light at every corner.  Well, almost.  Anyway, I was no stranger to the intersection.  I knew the light was hanging up there in the air.  Somehow, I got distracted only to realize as I was half way through the intersection that a red light was glaring at me.  I took a quick look to the right and left and breathed a sigh of relief.  Then, I looked in the rearview mirror and saw the car behind me following my lead instead of looking at the light.  Fortunately, he made it, too.
 
Long after the light had disappeared, I thought about the guy behind me.  He was not taking his cues from the things around him.  He was taking his cues from me.  And, in that moment, I was not an example worth following.  It is not the first time I have made a bad choice and led someone who was watching down the wrong road.  How we live and the choices we make are important for us and for those who watch us.  And, make no mistake, someone is always watching.  How we live moment to moment, day to day, is important.
 
Leading people astray is not something most of us set out to do, but it happens.  It happens not because of our intentions, but because of our carelessness.  Our failure to pray may seem like such a little thing that no one else sees, but that failure may be the very thing which dulls our spiritual senses so that distractions control the way we are living.  Choosing not to be grateful turns us inward so that we can see nothing but the needs of our own ego.  When we get careless with our life with God, we walk a risky path and, unfortunately, someone may be watching and following.  Every now and again, take a look in the rear view mirror.

No comments: