Saturday, November 29, 2008

Marvin

This past Tuesday Marvin Leggett died. Like me, he was known mostly by his family and the people who were members of the churches he served. As boys Marvin and I attended the same church. It was much later in our adult years that we ran into each other again, but this time as pastors of the United Methodist Church. Marvin was always the kind of guy who made you glad you ran into him. He had a quick smile and made us feel like we had value and worth. His was a special gift given not just to me, but to the many whom God put in his path.
I remember the last time I saw Marvin. We were both at a preacher function. I saw him across the room, thought about going over to speak, but did not. At the time it seemed important to leave as quickly as I could and get somewhere. I wish I had not been in such a hurry. I wish I had taken the moment to walk over and speak to someone who has been a friend all these years. At the time I had no idea it would be the last time. I wish I had used it differently. I hope this trip to the learning tree is not a wasted one.
Marvin will no doubt bring light and a smile to heaven. He surely brought it to some of the dark places on his journey here. I mourn his death. I grieve for my loss. I rejoice in his gain. I am grateful our paths ran close together and sometimes touched.

No comments: