Wednesday, August 26, 2026

The Prayer Box

Along the highway out in the country not too far from the farm is something on the side of the road which is as striking as the roof tops on barns which shouted out, "See Rock City.'"   It may not command to be seen, but it is planted above the mailbox on the edge of the road as it waits for daily mail.  It is actually a half size replica of the mail box and has written on it in red letters, "Prayer Box."  Every time I pass that way and I have often in recent years, I think I should stop and meet its owner.  

It also sets me to wondering.  It is obviously there for people to leave prayer request.  Is it part of a church's prayer ministry, or is it some individual's response to God?  Could it be some house bound person's way of praying for the community and the world?  The tire tracks in front of it tell the tale of people stopping and putting something in the box. It is not just an ornamental statement of faith, but something useful for the Kingdom of God.  I wonder how many prayer requests are put in the "Prayer Box" each week and if there is any communication between the person praying and the person in need of prayer?  For those of us who might be tempted to say that due to our circumstances there is nothing we can do for God, this pint size prayer box speaks volumes.  

I remember a worn out saint at the end of her days who had pictures of the church staff stuck to a mirror over a dresser so she would be reminded to pray for us each day.  I shall never forget a widow of limited financial means who canceled a magazine subscription so she could give to the church's mission project.  What we do for God may sometimes seem to be small and insignificant, but in the Kingdom all the mustard seeds that are planted bear fruit a hundred fold. 

No comments: