Years ago I taught several sessions about worship to a group of young preachers. It was mostly about how to lead worship. Looking back is to realize what I offered was mostly about how to do worship. While there was nothing wrong with what I presented back then, if I were to do it over today, some things would certainly be different. The passing of some twenty years, the experiences of those years, and hopefully the way the Holy Spirit has been nudging me to move has revealed some things that apparently were invisible to me back then since I seem not to have seen them.
While I know it sounds redundant, worship should create a place for worship. The church seems to have moved far away from worship even though what it does still goes by that name. Worship is more synonymous with entertainment and performance. It is so choreographed that the Holy Spirit has no room to wiggle in. It creates spectators instead of participants. The rhythm is a hurried one. There is always movement. Seldom is there any silence, or time for being. Even though the walk by communion participants are invited to kneel at an altar after receiving the Sacrament, the very atmosphere is one of come quickly and hurry to your seats.
There is no place for being anymore. Maybe it never existed. Maybe it existed only in a memory that is filled more with fantasy than reality. Maybe it is the part of worship for which my heart longed, but could not find. What gave birth to all these thoughts on worship was attendance at a service of worship in another tradition where the preacher sat down after the sermon and there was simply silence for what seemed like several minutes. No one jumped up to announce a hymn; the people just sat in a silence that gave opportunity to reflect on what had been proclaimed as the Word of God. It made me think that the church needs to find a different rhythm for worship, one that allows not for doing, but being.
No comments:
Post a Comment