I am a misfit in this society of ring wearers. I grew up with the notion that rings are worn on the fingers of the hand and nowhere else. Today rings are worn on the ears, the lips, the nose, the navel and other places which I leave to your imagination. My problem with the ring wearers is my reaction to them. I see them and immediately begin a process of mental devaluation. I am not bragging. I am confessing. What I am doing is letting a judgmental spirit have a place in my heart which is surely troublesome to the Holy Spirit who is working to make my spirit reflect the heart of Jesus.
This problem of mine, dare I call it sin, slapped me in the face the other day in worship. I was visiting a church which I had never attended. I saw man dressed in the robe of the clergy. His back was to me as I tapped his shoulder to ask a question about the Sacrament which was going to be offered. When he turned around, I immediately saw his nose ring. It was a small thing, but suddenly it was all I could see. As I sat there in the pew, I started building my case against the young man. Before I finished, he stood and preached a sermon I wish I could have preached. It was indeed a Word of the Lord.
As the holy bread was placed in my hand and I dipped it in the cup, I had much to repent. Prejudice does not always show itself in something as obvious as skin color, but in the small and subtle ways we allow ourselves to put on robes of self righteousness and see ourselves and others in a way that is displeasing to God. To live in a way that displeases God can only be defined as choosing sin. Prejudice does this. It drops in upon us in unguarded moments and the only real answer to the problem is a heart surrendered completely to the Holy Spirit.
No comments:
Post a Comment