Thursday, August 6, 2026

A Seldom Used Gift

Recently I heard some poetry read that I had previously read.  Read not once, but many times.  As I listened carefully to the verbal rendering, I began to hear things I had not heard during the many readings. It sent me to thinking about the way I have often read the Psalms.  I read them like I read everything else.  I read them silently.  Not a sound is heard except for the turning of pages.  It occurred to me midst the reading of the poetry that reading silently may not be the best way to experience the Psalms of the Old Testament.  

One thing leads to another.  Perhaps, the  prayers I offer to God would be better if they were heard by ears other than His. Maybe there is value in my ears hearing the thoughts of my heart even as He does.  It might also help us when our minds began to wander.  Our quiet time does not have to be quiet.  It can be filled with our voice directing our thoughts to God in a more intentional way.  Somewhere a very long time ago, we were taught to pray by thinking our prayers instead of speaking them.  Maybe a change would be a good thing.  

Another thought which comes to mind as we think our quiet times is interrupting the quiet with singing.  So many times during our devotional moments some hymn or song of faith comes to mind.  Would it be such a serious break with the personal pattern we have established for praying to break out singing a song of praise or a hymn of meditation?  We may not be the best singer, but nowhere is it written that God takes no delight in our attempts to worship Him with our singing?  God has given us a voice and it seems to be one gift that we use the least in our private moments with Him. 

No comments: