Monday, July 5, 2021

A Lamp and a Light

The first Bible I claimed belonged to my Father.  When he died in the middle of my seventh year, I found his Gideon New Testament and Psalm Bible in his stuff.  It was pocket size, brown, and had  patriotic songs on the back pages.  He carried it with him in WW II while flying as a crew member of a B-29 bomber.  It became a treasure to a boy who lost his Father.  The next one was a small black zipper Bible which had the Old and New Testament plus some art work illustrating some of the great stories I read in its pages.     

Since those beginning years I have had many other Bibles.  I even wore out a few back in my preaching days.  Whenever a trip is planned, there is always one which goes in with a change of clothes.  For as long as I have memory, a Bible has been in my life.  As I type these words one sits here on the desk beside me.  It has been a companion over the span of a life time and has always given me guidance, understanding, and hope.   

Back in the '80s when our girls were the age of our grandchildren Amy Grant was singing "Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path."  (Psalm 118:105)  I was glad the song was included in the United Methodist Hymnal.  Many times in planning worship I made sure this song was sung prior to the reading of the Word.  It has been a lamp and a light and so much more.  I cannot imagine life without the written Word of God present to keep me on the path that is leading toward home.  It is indeed the book above all books as it provides for us a means of hearing the Word of God being spoken in our every circumstance.  

No comments: