Thursday, June 5, 2014

To Battle A Mockingbird

Last week I did battle with a mockingbird who decided that our plum tree full of ripening plums was the perfect place to build a nest.  Since there were no eggs in the nest when I found it and purple plums were being attacked, I tore out the nest thinking that would be the end of the story.  By the end of the day, the nest was back.  I tore it down again.  Last year there were no plums.  This year there were plenty and we were already tasting them.  By the middle of the next day, the mockingbird nest was back in place.  This went on several days.  I was beginning to wonder who would be the most persistent.  It seemed like there was no end to the bird's persistence.  Mine was faltering.  I thought about ending this game with the shotgun, but I remembered the words of Atticus who said, "It's a sin to kill a mockingbird."   About that time I went to the plum tree and found no nest.

An interesting thing was happening inside of me as I did battle with this mockingbird.  I found my myself actually be thankful for the persistence of this bird.  She reminded me of the parable Jesus taught in Luke 18.  We know that section of scripture as the Parable of the Widow and the Unjust Judge who persisted until her plea was granted.  Jesus used the parable to teach us not to lose heart in our praying.  Persistence is the word.  Persistent was the mockingbird.  I have often lacked that kind of attitude in my praying.  Too many times I have given up and moved on to other prayers.

The persistent mockingbird reminded me of how I approach prayer with our culture's instant gratification mindset.  It is a mindset which keeps me from seeking the will of God in particular matters.  It is the mindset which falsely comforts me with the illusion that I know what is best even when I am on my knees before the Almighty.  A persistent mindset might not get me what I think I need or what I want in the moment, but it might get me into the mind and heart of God enabling me to understand why it is that now is not the best moment.  And, what a blessing that would be!

1 comment:

Yoon said...

Thank you so much for the words always!I think about the widow always when I beg to God each mornning.