Friday, February 28, 2014

A Different Look

I can remember looking at pictures of my parents when they married and thinking, "How strange and funny they look!"  I think the shoe is now on the other foot.  Seeing me now and looking at pictures of  me "then" must bring much the same response!  So much has changed since I called myself young.  There is more of me.  My hair has gone from black to gray.  My skin looks like it has weathered more than just a few storms and wrinkles abound.  That process of aging that started when I was born seems to be rapidly accelerating in these days.  Anyone who does not like change should not plan to get old!
 
But, it all set me to wondering.  I wonder about that inner part of me.  I wonder about my soul.  I wonder about what is the essence of my being.  I wonder about that part of me where the Holy Spirit abides.  I wonder how it is looking after all these years.  I have been a follower of Jesus since I was a teenager.  According to what the Scripture says about sanctification, this abiding Spirit has been working in my inner being to shape me into the image of Jesus.  Of course, this has nothing to do with what is physical, but with my heart being shaped after His heart.
 
So, I wonder how this inner being of mine looks to God.  I have been walking in His way a long time now so the Spirit has had plenty of time to do His heart work.  Of course, I have been a hindrance to that process more times than I want to confess.  Still, I wonder how my soul looks to the One who brought it into being.  As someone has said, "You are not a body with a soul, but a soul with a body."  The most important part is unseen by everyone except God.  He looks not on the outward part of me, but upon the inner being.  I wonder what He is seeing. 

No comments: