Sunday, October 26, 2008

Rainbows and Promises

It was one of the darkest clouds I had seen in a long time. I had been watching it for awhile as it built up in the eastern sky. Darker and more turbulent it became as it drew closer. I remember thinking, "Someone is really getting some bad weather this afternoon." As I watched I came to a moment when I realized that this really dark and threatening storm was on a track to move around the place from which I watched. It was almost in the moment of the greatest darkness when I saw it. A rainbow formed that was as splendid in color as the cloud was black in its darkness. There was nothing subdued about the display of color in front that black cloud. It was brilliant.
It was the kind of moment which made you stop what you were doing. I found myself having one of those "Wow!" experiences. I stood there transfixed by what I was seeing and then realized that my thinking had gone to old Noah. From Noah it was a quick step to gratitude for the promises of God. The promise of the rainbow was a promise that caused Noah to know that what had just happened was not only a once-in-a lifetime experience, but a once-in-all-of-time experience as well.
It set me to thinking about the promises of God. The promise of the rainbow is just one of them. And unlike us, God is not a fickle promise maker. He does not say one thing one day and change His mind the next. He promised us a Savior and Deliver. He promised that grace will be sufficient. He promised that we would not be forsaken or left alone. He promised to be with us. He promised that evil and suffering will not have the last word. He promised an eternal home with Him. The rainbow is a reminder of one promise, but it is also a reminder of the One who will not let anything keep Him from keeping His Word.

No comments: