Wednesday, October 7, 2026

The Practice of Exclusion

This past Sunday I worshipped at a Roman Catholic Church.  While I could never be a card carrying member of the Catholic Church, there are things about it which I wish could be found in my own denomination.  The church is not afraid of the Scripture which is to say readings are offered from the Psalms, both New Testaments, and the Epistles.  Any Methodist preacher who read that much Scripture in worship would be run out of town on a rail!  I also like the reverent attention given to the Holy Sacrament.  It is not a hurried addendum to worship, but the central part of it.  

What would forever keep me away from Catholicism is the practice of exclusion at the Table.  Of course, this practice of exclusion is not just a Catholic thing.  Other churches require denominational membership, or confirmation, or membership in the particular church the Communion is being offered.  While there are many things which trouble me about the church which ordained me, I am grateful for its practice of the open Table.  Anyone who shows up is welcome.  I have offered the Sacrament to the dying who claimed no church membership and to the young children whom folks said could not understand.  My only comment is that neither can I.   

The Table does not belong to a church, or to a pastor or priest, or to a set of requirements allowing for some and excluding others.  It belongs to Jesus.  Men and women may officiate at the Table but it is the Table of the Lord.  Long ago Jesus sat at a Table with His disciples, broke the bread, handed them the cup, and said "Do this in remembrance of Me."  Judas Iscariot was there waiting to be served.  If Jesus would serve the one who was to betray Him, how can anyone be turned aside?

No comments: