Sunday, April 28, 2024

Sunday Distractions

I suppose everyone has a story or two to tell about things that are distracting during Sunday morning worship.   Some might think I would have a long list since I preached for over forty years, but, truthfully, once a preacher gets focused and zoned in on preaching, things that distract seem to fall by the wayside. Crying children, snuggling teenagers, people who made a big production of looking at their wristwatch at noon, and the fidgeters never really bothered me.  They did their thing and I did mine.  

However, now that I am on the other side of the altar rail, it is far easier for me to notice what folks are doing around me, ahead of me, and sometimes behind me.  Chins resting on necks are sure to get my attention.  I start wondering how long before the snoring starts!  If some hymn is mentioned in the sermon,  I have to pull the Hymnal out of the pew rack to check out the song.  Whenever I notice a couple whispering too much, I start stretching my ears to see if I can eavesdrop a bit.  But, one of the biggest distractions is having someone nudge me in the ribs when a good morning nap seems in view.  When I was preaching, I never had that particular problem!   Multiply me by a hundred and it is obvious that the preacher is in trouble.  

Any good preacher really does need people praying for him, or her.  It is not just the Sunday morning distractions which might be an issue, but the greater ones take place on the ordinary days of the week when the Word of God for the upcoming Sunday is taking shape in the mind and heart.  In addition to simply being a person who lives in a family with its needs, the preacher finds that so much time gets eaten up by dealing with the administrative needs of the church, or just sitting with some older soul who needs to tell once again the story that has been heard a thousand times.  Be one of those who prays for their preacher.  It will make a difference in the preaching which is preached from the pulpit and received in your heart.

No comments: