Thursday, July 5, 2018

An Inviting Prayer

Over the years I have run into a few folks who were highly critical of those who used written prayers.  I remember one preacher who really got on his soap box because another preacher who shared in the service of worship used a prayer from a book of prayer instead of praying extemporaneously.  It seems like a strange criticism to make given we all use the prayer known as "The Lord's Prayer" to the degree that it has become a part of our memory and common spiritual legacy. 
 
At the beginning of my spiritual journey, I did not use written prayers as much as I have learned to do in these latter days.  Our choice makes us no better or worse than the one who prays differently than we do.  It just makes us different.  However, my feeling is that God hears the prayers of all us, but that He takes great delight when the prayer comes from a contrite heart.  In a book by Esther de Waal, I recently came across a prayer which I have handwritten in my journal as a keeper.  It reads, "O God, I commend to you this time and ask You to bless and to strengthen me in my heartfelt search for that silence and stillness in which I pray I shall find You and You will find me."
 
When I first read it, I thought it was like a prelude inviting us to worship, but then maybe it is more like an invocation inviting God to join us.  What I realized very quickly was that it was a prayer I could pray with a sincere and genuine spirit for it reflected something I would choose to happen each time I draw apart for moments of solitude with God.  What is true is that we can use all the prayer rituals we might choose and they do have some value as a source of blessing, but if there is to be real blessing and real communion, it will surely be because God is the One doing the blessing. 

No comments: