Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Standing in Line

While standing in one of life's line, I overheard a conversation going on ahead of me.  I really was not trying to listen, but the voices simply carried on down the line to where I was not so patiently waiting my turn to be at the head of the line.  "How you been doing?" asked the clerk.  "Just fine, just fine," replied the customer, "The Lord woke me up this morning.  He reached down and touched me on the shoulder and woke me up.  It was not the alarm clock that woke me up.  It was not my wife who woke me up.  I was laying there not knowing anything and God just woke me up for another day.  It is a fine day, a fine day."
 
This old gentlemen sorta had the preacher voice by the time he got through singing praises to the One who woke him up every day.  I just listened along with all the other waiters.  I do not know what everyone else thought, but I was blessed by this man giving an unsolicited witness for the work of God in his life.  Before the old guy left, it was obvious from what the younger clerk said to him that I was not the only one getting blessed in that rather ordinary place where only the things of the world are transacted.
 
What I heard was so true.  We are all living as if we are dead when we are asleep.  We know nothing.  We are just there in that moment when it seems that the only thing alive is what is unconscious.  And, then somehow we are no longer asleep, but awake.  We never shake ourselves and wake ourselves up.  The fellow there at the head of the line said that God wakes him up every day.  It sounded good to me.  Henceforth, I am going with his explanation.

No comments: