Saturday, February 11, 2017

A Prayer

Some years ago while living in Columbus, Ga. I became a big fan of country music.  There was a DJ whom I knew personally and I listened a lot to him during the day.  Before I knew it, I was hooked.  One day I discovered something about my new interest.  Not only could I sing all the country songs I was hearing, but when my mind went to neutral, one of them would automatically come to mind.  All day long I was either listening to the songs about broken hearts and drinking or I was letting them fill my thoughts.  Whatever we put in speaks to what we will become. 
 
Somewhere along that route, I decided I needed to be filling my mind and heart with something different.  A spiritual life needed spiritual fuel and it was a stronger spiritual life that I was truly seeking.  When we begin to allow our hearts and spirits to be fed with spiritual stuff like reading the Word, or singing songs of faith, or listening to those who have spiritual insight, we find a different thing happening when our minds come to the neutral position.  All of us have had the experience of some word of scripture coming to mind out of the blue, or having some song sung long, long ago suddenly show up on the front burner of our life.
 
It happened much that way for me the other morning.  As I looked ahead toward what is going to be a difficult time, I did what we all do.  I prayed.  But, it somehow seemed for naught.  And then I became aware of old gospel song sung so very long ago.  "Precious, Lord, take my hand, Lead me on, let me stand, I am tired, I am weak, I am worn; Through the storm, through the night, Lead me on to the light: Take may hand, precious Lord, Lead me home."   All day I found myself silently singing the song.  About midway through the day, I realized what it was.  It was not just a long forgotten song, but a prayer given to me by a Spirit seeking to direct my praying in a way that was truly beyond me. 

No comments: